- Connecticut state Comptroller Kevin Lembo announces the launch of Livongo for Diabetes Management Program through the state health plan to deliver estimated annual savings to the state of approximately $3 million.
- The program, launched in partnership with CVS Caremark and Livongo, is projected to significantly improve health care outcomes for thousands of people with diabetes covered by the state plan by providing them with comprehensive around-the-clock live coaching and support through cellular-enabled diabetes management devices with remote monitoring capabilities.
The State of Connecticut Comptroller Kevin Lembo today announced the launch of a diabetes management program powered by Livongo through the state health plan aimed at reducing acute emergencies and long-term complications related to chronic conditions while delivering an estimated annual savings to the state of approximately $3 million. More than 500 people have already signed up for the program during a two-week soft launch period, and more are enrolling each week.
The program, launched in partnership with CVS Caremark and Livongo, is projected to significantly improve health care outcomes for thousands of people with diabetes covered by the state plan by providing them with comprehensive around-the-clock live coaching and support through cellular-enabled diabetes management devices with remote monitoring capabilities.
As state comptroller, Lembo is the administrator of the state health plan, which serves more than 250,000 state and municipal employees, retirees and their dependents. This diabetes management program is the latest cross-sector partnership that seeks to enhance the efficiency of the state plan by helping members to better manage chronic conditions.
Want to publish your own articles on DistilINFO Publications?
Send us an email, we will get in touch with you.
Livongo Diabetes Management Program Overview
The Livongo diabetes management program and devices will allow members to monitor their conditions, receive Health Nudges™, and 24/7 access to digital and telehealth coaching, all from the safety of their homes. The program is modeled after similar efforts that have a proven track record of success. A Journal of Medical Economics study found that the Livongo for Diabetes program delivered an $88 per member monthly reduction in medical spending and that clients experienced a positive return on investment in one year.
Benefits for Plan Members
The program is designed to provide several benefits to plan members and the state by:
– Providing more supportive, successful preventative care to members at no cost to them that results in better health care outcomes;
– Addressing the state’s top pharmacy cost category (diabetes medication and supplies);
– Expanding on the state’s HEP (Health Enhancement Program philosophy) of delivering more quality and smarter preventive care;
– Enhancing physician and member dialogue;
– Providing ongoing support for people with diabetes to bridge the gap between members’ everyday lives and the physician’s office; and
– Operating the state plan more efficiently and achieving potential annual savings of $3 million.
“Our goal is to give workers and their families every chance of success to live safe and healthy lives,” Comptroller Lembo said. “There are more than 15,000 people covered by the state plan living with diabetes who are at risk of completely avoidable dangerous complications – including emergency care for hyperglycemic episodes, high blood pressure, stroke, kidney disease, ketoacidosis and eye and skin problems and infections. This program is about avoiding the avoidable through smarter health care.”
“Those with chronic conditions are not more likely to be infected with COVID-19 – but they are at greater risk of complications if they get it,” Lembo said. “The launch of this program comes at a critical time when the need to provide access to quality and preventive care for chronic conditions is especially clear.”
Source: Hit Consultant