CMS is requesting information about how to best help health insurers sell policies across state lines, the agency said March 6.
Five things to know:
1. CMS is seeking advice on how to eliminate regulatory, operational and financial barriers for insurers wishing to sell plans across state lines.
2. The request for information is the result of an executive order President Donald Trump issued Oct. 12, 2017, that instructed the administration to facilitate the purchase of health plans across state lines.
Want to publish your own articles on DistilINFO Publications?
Send us an email, we will get in touch with you.
3. CMS said it is particularly interested in gaining feedback on how states can use Section 1333 under the ACA to facilitate the sale of policies across state lines.
4. While the Trump administration and proponents of the initiative have heralded the initiative as a way to create more affordable health insurance options, some opponents have argued since healthcare delivery is highly localized, it will be difficult to implement multistate health plans.
5. The request for information, which can be found here, is open for public comment for 60 days.
Date: March 20, 2019